Friday, December 30, 2016

Mr Sage and the magical metal detector














Mr Sage has taken to wandering the mesa with his metal detector. He finds wonderful treasures, bits of history, and strange metal things that make us wonder about the people who, long ago, made this place their home.
He has dug up coins, silver spoons, old bullets and even an antique pocket watch. We've found caches of tin cans and bottles from the 1920's and 1930's. We've found old homesteads, sheep camps, and everything in between.

While he wanders, metal detector in hand, I wander with the dogs. I sometimes feel like a shepherdess when I hear the dogs' bells jingling as we walk.
And I also find amazing things, usually under trees near the places Mr Sage explores.

Last trip to the mesa, I found the old license plate,  bottles, and a tin canister. I scared up an owl and found nearly 40 to 50 pellets under his tree! (Of course, I took a few choice pellets home for further inspection and dissection.)
Oh! I also came across, high on the mesa, near a small pile of rocks, a rusted band-aid tin with a mining claim dated May 1959 tucked inside!  The dreams those people must have had! The lives they must have lived!

I sometimes feel we are the last ones to walk this mesa. We've become the keepers of its secrets, the explorers of its forgotten roads.

But mostly, we find peace. We become lost in Nature, lost in the history of the mesa, lost in the lonely place that stole our hearts. And we happily leave a little more of ourselves behind every time we drive away.

12 comments:

  1. Mike's been thinking a metal detector would be fun. Look at all the cool stuff you find! That land of yours is just beautiful. Love the mining claim! Priceless! And the illustrations... I adore them. What a great series. Thank you for sharing your adventures!
    Happy New Year Mr. & Mrs. Sage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the old mines in that desert of yours I bet you'd find all kinds of treasures with a metal detector! And I can tell you Mr Sage LOVES his! It's brought a whole new perspective to the mesa and its history.
      The illustrations happen while I give Durango his afternoon break. :)
      Happy New Year to you and your pack!
      x

      Delete
  2. Montezuema mining district, Navajo #4 (mother Lode)!!
    Dang, what a place, huh? Filled with so many things. "Pass me that tin of Prince Albert Tabaccky, will ya?"
    As I sit in my house hearing cold wind blow the snow against the windows, I close my eyes and see this vision of you, the high mesa shepardess with her walking stick and her dogs, jingle jangle among the sage.
    The special Owl tree!!!
    Beautiful times, Sagey. Never stop going there.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw the Owl tree! Wish you could have seen the huge cache of pellets!!
      And can you just imagine those old west characters that left all the rusty treasures behind? What times they must have had!
      I am honored to tap into that time when I'm on the mesa. :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. What a cool post! I think I might need to get me one of those magical metal detectors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend one of those magical gadgets! There's all kinds of treasures hiding in that desert of yours!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to the Sage clan and wishing you many exciting adventures this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! A new year with new adventures awaits us all!
      x

      Delete
  5. i love that you each wander, separately, in your own way....yet, together, you find peace.

    i'm *still celebrating.

    happy christmas, dear one.
    happy new year......

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the separate wanderings that make us stronger together....
      and a happy new year to you too, dear woman.
      xx

      Delete
  6. What amazing treasures you've uncovered!! You must feel like you're the only five beings on the planet during these walks. How absolutely wonderful!!! When you say pellets, do you mean owl poop? You dissected owl poop? : )

    Happy and healthy new year to you all!!! BTW I haven't forgotten about the private blog. Just haven't been focused enough to work on creating it. xo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pellets are actually what an owl coughs up after eating a tasty rodent. It's full of tiny bones and little skulls and all kinds of interesting animal parts. Of course, the pellets are dry and kind of fluffy so that makes them easy to dissect. Seems I'm always up to my elbows in Nature! ;)

      Happy new year to you too! Looking forward to the new blog!
      xx

      Delete