Friday, July 31, 2015

july on the mesa
















We pitch a tent at the end of  long and winding dirt road.
I explore the places that haven't seen footprints in a hundred years.
When the clouds roll in and I'm chased off the mesa by the summer monsoons, I don't take it personally.

I sit on a sandstone cliff at the edge of the earth and thank the gods....
 for my husband
 for my dogs
 for my sister who bought awesome new bandanas for the dogs
 and for the chance, once again, to be in the place I love.

As I whisper these thoughts to the mountain and the moon and the setting sun, a dove flies out of the pinon forest and disappears over the canyon.

12 comments:

  1. love the shots of the bandanas and your happy feet.
    your posts are so uplifting....

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help but feel good whenever I return to my mesa. And of course the dogs must be outfitted with bandanas!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful recap - thanks for taking us along. ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you long to go there. It's got everything, doesn't it? The tent sits perfectly among the pine, pinon, sage, tumblers and rock. You've got some shade, some sun and SOME VIEW! And the best thing about it is there ain't a soul around.
    I smile real big when I see you out there. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES have everything, and even the summer monsoons have returned in full force! I've never seen it so green as it has been this summer!!
      Have to admit I smile real big when I'm out there!
      xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeousness. And to have it to yourself and your beloveds. I'm glad that you can take the time and go where your heart calls you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was just what we needed. Hope you are finding your own peace these days. xx

      Delete
  5. Everything looks just beautiful! And I love your expression of gratitude for all the wonderful things in your life. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Being in Nature and seeing all that beauty around me puts me in an especially grateful mindset.

      Delete
  6. So much green on the mesa in midsummer this year! I bet that feels amazing! The light in your photos is breathtaking, I feel like my soul is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO much green!! It's a beautiful thing!! :)

      Delete