Wednesday, July 1, 2015

head for the hills

















June, which was not the best month I've ever had, ended much better than it started. June ended with the scent of pine, sunlight through the tall trees, and occasional rain that fell softly in the forest.

I left the heat of the lower desert behind and found refuge at 7000 feet. The forest was alive, green, and noisy with birdsong.
The dogs splashed in a nearby stream and I wandered through meadow and forest to collect wildflowers. I found six bluebird feathers on the winding dirt road. There were obsidian chips, bright in the sun, left behind by an earlier people. Scraps of busy tool-making days here on this New Mexico mountain. I held a chip in my hand, cleaned it up and looked at the sun, and I caught the abstract glow of light through the translucent rock. I kept that light in my heart.

These are the things I will always remember. These are the places that fill the soul.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to see you go there and then stay there. To keep finding the old rocks, the broken pot shards, the red ones and black ones, to line up the arrowheads side by side so we can see the different sizes and points and wonder.
    Those bluebirds left you their feathers, inviting you to follow that familiar road, but this time they want you to stay a little longer.
    So happy you are finding solace up in them thar hills, Sagey.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure needed that time away. Next time maybe I will stay a little longer....to play with the rocks and listen to the feathers. Guess you know where to find me!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Your photos are just breathtaking! What a beautiful walk through the woods - truly good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Time in the mountains and the forest was just what I needed. Very good for the soul!

      Delete
  3. June was not a very good month for me either. I was glad to turn the page on the calendar. : ) Your photos made me smile. Have a beautiful weekend!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both got through June! Yay! Hope your July is better! And I'm glad you got a smile from my photos. This month will be better! Fingers crossed! xoxo

      Delete
  4. where have i been and why have i not seen this post??....it's SO lovely and just what i needed today.

    xx

    [to be perfectly honest, i'm rather enjoying the hand-written postal-posted sort of communication....!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handwritten mail is so sweet and wonderful. I am so glad it's not a lost method of communication in these times. xx

      Delete
  5. Each one of these photos is a work of art. Together they tell a wonderful tale. I hope your July has been better than your June, and that you're able to reach 7000 as often as you need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. I'm happy to say July has been much better in so many ways. Hope it's a good month for you too. xx

      Delete