Sunday, May 17, 2015

pinto's blanket



Uh-huh. Busted.


On the way to Colorado, we always stop at the same restaurant for lunch. We know the halfway point between where we live and where we are going. (It's a desolate little community on the Navajo reservation.) The dogs run in the same place just south of the Colorado border and I photograph the feral horses just over the border.
But on the drive to where we're going, I knit. It's a meditative hobby, and I've actually made some useable items. (A year ago, when I began knitting, I mostly knit for a while, tore my project apart, and started over. Repeatedly.)

This time, I made Pinto a blanket. The pattern was a basic basket-weave and I chose an oatmeal colored fleck yarn that matched her fur.
Since the blanket came off the needles, I've caught Durango sleeping on it when Pinto's outside. I've now started a waffle pattern blanket for him.
I spoil these dogs terribly.

We've become such creatures of habit. My husband finds peace in driving us to our destination. I find peace in knitting something useful. And the dogs will always sleep on each others blankets.



8 comments:

  1. how very sweet..!!..knitting for your dogs. you're da best.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs and I, we have a deal. In the next life, I'm coming back as their pet. :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such love all around. I'm glad for it. The dogs look glad for it, too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an adventurous knitter, always coming up with something challenging and useful. i've still got one more sleeve to complete and then i tackle learning how to stitch all of my sweater pieces together. i'm going slow and enjoying the process, although it would be nice to have this short sleeve sweater finished to wear on cool summer evenings...
    glad your pups have something mom-made to snuggle up with, either their own or each other's!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the adventurous knitter! I'm not ready to attempt a sweater yet! I'm thinking about trying socks next.....

      And how about some blankets for the weenies with that new yarn you won? ;)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I don't why I loved hearing you tell this story, but I do.
    You knit, he drives, you tear it out and start all over. It's so real and sweet.
    Do you use wooden needles? I like that soft clicking sound...
    Pinto's (and Durango's) blanket is a beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use wooden needles. There's something so...organic about them.
      And yes, he drives, I knit. It's a good thing. A real good thing. :)
      xx

      Delete