Sunday, March 15, 2015

home to you













Is it just another day on the mesa or is it something more? Is it the sun and the sky and the rock? Is it the snowmelt ponds and the dogs who love the cold water and muddy pond-bottom?

It's life as I know it. The life that waits for me, four hours north and a million miles from the big city.
It's walking and wondering and watching the snow melt on these early spring days.
I sometimes think I have spent lifetimes here, in this quiet place, so far from the civilized world. I understand this place, these hills and mesas. I know they keep me wild.

May it always be this way.

"And I remember something you once told me
And I'll be damned if it did not come true
Twenty thousand roads I went down, down, down
And they all lead me straight back home to you"  -- Gram Parsons



12 comments:

  1. In a hectic world that is so packed with people, how blessed you are to be able to go to your bit of paradise and feel like the only people (and pups) on earth. I absolutely love the photo with the snow covered mountains in the background. So, so beautiful. Have a beautiful day, my friend!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so very lucky to have this place. There's no cell phone reception, no people, (other than us), and nothing to spoil the beauty of Nature.

      And all that snow in front of the mountain...that's a pretty rare sight. I loved it!
      You have a wonderful day yourself!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Speaks to me deeply...lovely photos and storytelling.

    The Gram Parsons quote just takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are the lucky ones...the ones who hear what the wild spaces say.

      And the cosmic cowboy puts it to words! :)

      Delete
  3. Seems I'm not the only one with these soul-homes on my mind.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's all so real, so pure, so pristine.
    like time away just looking at your photos.
    far from the "civilized" world.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature has its own rules. I do believe it can be wild and yet much more "civilized" than the big city I live in.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Just got goosebumps...That is one of C's and my favorite song!! We listen to it on road trips, a lot, a lot. :)
    That place and you. It's as wild as it gets. Aren't you lucky.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, to be wild and free, our favorite song on the radio, and nothing but sunny days ahead. That is life, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  6. Nope there is something different, it's got to be the snow and water. Even l noticed the photos had a different feel to them, from thousands of miles away, through a computer screen :)
    That poem is priceless, so fitting for you and your Mesa.
    I'm sitting here imagining the conversations that goes on at your house... "so are we going to the Mesa again this weekend?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a freak snowstorm that dumped over a foot on the mesa! It melted quite quickly, but it sure gave the high desert a whole different feel. I do love the seasons up there in the wild nowhere of Utah and Colorado.

      Our next trip to the mesa? About two weeks from now....and we're counting the days! :)

      Delete