Saturday, February 7, 2015

wild horses






I've heard stories of the wild horses in the backcountry on the New Mexico/Colorado border. 
Today, for the first time, I saw them. 

There they were, on the horizon. A small band of the wild horses I've heard so much about.
We drove cautiously across the desert, watching the horses, gauging their reaction to the truck. When the horses stopped to watch, I got out and walked as close as I could. They wanted none of that and moved away from me. 
Horses and woman stood, watched, and waited. Eventually I walked back to the truck and we drove off, only to find another small herd a little later. These horses didn't mind that I walked right up to them. They stopped, mildly curious, and then continued on across the desert.

As I turned away, I silently thanked the horses for allowing me to witness a moment in their lives.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a discovery.
    They really do make quite an impression don't they? Quite evocative standing there with the desert wind blowing in their hair.
    Are these horses native to the area? We have wild horses in part of Australia but they've been introduced and can often have quite a negative impact on the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, aren't they? These are feral horses that are descended from the herds owned by local Ute and Navajo people. People bring them hay and water from time to time. The only damage the horses have done is learn how to kick the ice machine at a visitor center and get ice for themselves!

      Delete
  2. ah, the stuff dreams are made of! so glad you had the chance to get close-- it makes the experience so much richer. lovely photos of a wonderful time!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind, a woman, and the wild horses. Definitely the stuff of dreams! xx

      Delete
  3. love those shaggy wild horses.
    they rather remind me of the icelandics some folks have here in alaska,
    one of which i have ridden a few times.
    glad they let you close to them.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shaggy coats made me think of Siberian horses! Strange thoughts in the middle of the desert....

      Delete
  4. Horses - you can hear God's whisper in the wind between their ears. How very fortunate you were to witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "God's whisper in the wind between their ears". I love that.

      Delete
  5. They are as wild and steadfast as that land they roam. Sweet little shaggy herd, they are! And the others look colorful and alert.
    I know just how you must have felt being near them! You'll be back. ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a sweet little herd! And on the way out of Colorado they were there to say goodbye. I did tell them I would be back....
      :)

      Delete
  6. "Hello, human!" :) Magnificent!!! *kiss*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those magnificent beasts liked me! Or at least they tolerated me as I walked across the desert to photograph them! :)

      Delete