Friday, February 20, 2015

the next mesa














Closer to the mountain. Higher in elevation that my mesa. The next mesa is covered with winding dirt roads, pinon forests, a little snow in the darkest shadows, and best of all, old homesteads.
My favorite homestead was built on the edge of the mesa at the Y in the road. One road leads to the high desert bean fields, the other to the wild rim that overlooks a deep canyon.

But the homestead itself is a gentle place, with small reminders of its past. There's an old apple orchard behind the house and I was witness to a fox in the orchard on that late afternoon.
Pieces of colored glass, old china, and potshards lay in the dirt, undisturbed for years.
This old place has a calming effect, almost  reflective. I stop and wonder, why did the owners leave?
I would have stayed right there forever, friends with the fox, the wild mesa, and the remnants of the curtain in the window of the front door.

8 comments:

  1. Oh that homestead. Beautiful and lonesome, but loved again. That snippet of curtain in the window, those rusty old latches. I wonder what stories those walls told you while you were there.
    For some reason, I feel like your photography, while always lovely, has taken a leap lately. Gorgeous and...tactile.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beauty, this old homestead. I do believe I have fallen in love with it, it's whispered stories, it's fading light.
      My heart is pouring into my photography with these days I spend in the places I love. I am so glad you feel it too.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Shard on a stump! Shard on a stump!
    I love it when you visit this old place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shards seem to appear in my path. :)

      Delete
  3. crazy-beautiful.
    those diamonds on the mesa.
    and that bit of old lace at the window.
    this post represents starkness and emptiness yet much fullness….and speaks to my soul….

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about this place....at times so wide open and seemingly empty, at other times so full of life. It spoke to me so long ago, and we're still talking, sharing, discovering....

      xx

      Delete
  4. LOVE all the photos!!! I also love that you edited some in black and white. Just beautiful!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! Sometimes black and white expresses the thought and the image best....especially with this old homestead. It's a lovely old place to explore!
      xx

      Delete