Friday, November 7, 2014

happy anniversary, pinto!


 








It's hard to look at those early photos..........she was a rez dog, abandoned in the desert, a skeleton with fur. It still breaks my heart to remember her that way.

My husband and I  found Pinto on a hike in the northern New Mexico desert. She was dehydrated, emaciated, and was wearing a collar she had tried to escape from but instead had one leg caught in it. The collar had been in that position for so long the flesh under her leg had begun to grow around it. 

We knew we could not leave her there. 

I will never forget the feeling of relief/gratitude/love that poured in waves from her little body as I wrapped her in a blanket, lifted her up, and carried her to the truck. We took her home that night.
We didn't know if she would make it through the night but we cleaned her up, fed her small meals, and hoped for the best.

That was nine years ago today. Just look at her now! 
My best girlfriend.
:)



12 comments:

  1. Oh, she looks so skinny and small and sad lying in that cardboard box!
    But, NOW LOOK AT HER!! She's got a permanant smile!
    Bless you for saving the little Rez dog. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a skinny thing. Poor little dog hadn't eaten since........who knows when. She's done well since we brought her home all those years ago. I don't know what I would do without her! xx

      Delete
  2. this warms my heart and gives me faith.
    she stayed out there and waited for you, and you came to her.
    thank you for sharing this story, julie.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think we were waiting for each other. She is the sweetest, smartest, most loving dog I've ever had the pleasure of being with. Thank you for finding hope in her story. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Those first photos knocked the breath out of me. Thank you for saving her life! And look how she's rewarded you these past nine years. Our two dogs and two cats are all rescues, I'm so thankful for them all.
    Thank you Julie, and happy anniversary Pinto!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those skinny pictures truly are hard to look at. She also had a broken toe and all her teeth were filed flat. Despite an incredibly hard start in life, she has grown to be, may I say, perfect in every way.
      Rescues do make the best companions.
      xx (Pinto sends you a big, wet doggy kiss!)

      Delete
  4. yes. those first photos. but look at your girl, now….radiating peace from deep within her.

    our pinto was in the same sad shape when rescued 5 years ago. skeletal, fleas, ticks, mange, 35 pounds.
    now she is at peace here, never to be abandoned again. oh, and, 50 pounds of pure sweet love.

    happy anniversary, pinto of the sage….!! much love to you….and to your humans….

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to the Pintos of the world. May they always be happy, healthy, and loved.
      xoxo Kisses from Pinto to you and a big to to your Pinto of the great white north!

      Delete
  5. What a lucky dog your Pinto is! She does have a perma-grin now, doesn't she? What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a happy little dog, always grinning from ear to ear! Makes me smile just thinking about her silly grin!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness!! What a horrible story with a beautiful ending!!! I cannot even begin to imagine what it must've been like to see Pinto like that when you found her. You and your husband were so meant to be her parents and she your sweet girl!!!! Happy anniversary to you all!!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what that poor little thing had gone through before we found her. I am so thankful we found her....we were definitely meant to be together!
      Pinto sends you a big, wet doggy kiss! xx

      Delete