Sunday, April 27, 2014

let it rain









Let the rain fall.
Let the lightning flash, the thunder roll across the mesa.
Let my senses, my skin, drink it in.
Let my soul be baptized in this wild and lonely place.

Rather than run when the clouds blossomed into thunderheads and the rain fell in long, grey streaks, I sat at the mouth of the canyon, watching the storms take shape and drift toward me. I laughed with the thunder, found raw beauty in the lightning, and felt joy with the rain on my skin.
(I become the clouds, the wind, the storm itself. I grow, I become stronger. I cover the sky, the mesa. I ran down on the land, bringing the promise of spring.)
I braved the storm till the last minute, and finally, as the skies opened above me and the hail came down, I ran through the sweet, wet sage and headed for higher ground.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you all the way.
    There is nothing, NOTHING better than the sweet rain on the red dirt in the land of enchantment.
    You are a rain spirit, Sagey!
    And I love you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there anything better than the smell of rain, red dirt, and sage? I live for those times when the rain comes and the desert smells soooo amazingly good.
      Think I'll run outside and do a little rain dance right now!!
      xx

      Delete
  2. These photos have truly left me speechless. Amazing doesn't begin to cover it!!! You really need to open an Etsy shop and start sharing these with other people. You have a gift!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thank you! I've thought about selling on Etsy, but I don't know to much about it....
      I do believe my real gift is staying out in the rain way too long! :) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the smell of rain. I love that pregnant pause before a good storm hits and how everything just buckles down and holds on when it does. You captured the energy of it here beautifully.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love that silence, that brief breath-holding time right before the clouds open and the rain comes down. The storms do have a life of their own. We are merely the witness.
      xx

      Delete