Saturday, March 29, 2014

castle in the canyon















Lost in a canyon, accessible only with patience and a high clearance vehicle, is a spectacular castle.
I find it partly by accident and partly by the memory of having been there half a lifetime ago.
The descent into the canyon is slow and rugged, but soon enough the pinon and juniper part, revealing the castle. In the bottom of the canyon, a small spring is surrounded by cottonwood trees. A pool of water in the sandstone welcomes all who follow the path through the trees.
The castle itself was built nearly 800 years ago, and abandoned by 1300 A. D. All that remains are the buildings themselves, a few stone tools and potshards.
This is a land of ancient mysteries, some preserved, some yet to be discovered. This land calls to me, and I return, again and again. The sense of wonder feeds my soul.

8 comments:

  1. These photos are spectacular!!!! What an incredible find!!! Wouldn't it be amazing to know the history behind those walls?? I always look forward to your photos and you never cease to amaze me!! How blessed are you to live in such a beautiful part of the country. Are you there on holiday or do you go back and forth between both places?? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know the history, but these people left no written language, so all one can do is guess what life must have been like. We go back and forth between both places, hoping to eventually move up to Colorado. It truly is the most beautiful country I have ever seen....I am so thankful just to be there!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I can't get over the vividness of that sky!
    You found a secret and sacred place, that is for sure.
    I can see why you feel the way you do. How you could love a place so much.
    I hope you live there one day.
    I'll come visit. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was thinking the same thing a day or two ago. Not only do I love, love, love this place, this wonderful, sacred piece of backcountry, I would love to share it's secrets! Yes, you will have to visit when I finally settle in this magical place. We'll be the wild women of the canyons! xx

      Delete
  3. Good grief, 800 years old? So did the Indians build it? It really is a castle isn't it?
    What an amazing place to visit Julie, beautifully captured through your photographs.
    AND l spy you :) I think that's the first photo l've seen of you front on. SO lovely to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A prehistoric group called the Anasazi built it. The experts say they are the ancestors of the modern Pueblo people of the southwest. Their architecture was truly amazing, and they sure picked a beautiful place to live!
      You know, as much as I love to take pictures, I hate to have MY picture taken. You're lucky to see one! ;)

      Delete
    2. Just did some more reading on the Anasazi. How fascinating.
      So are these ruins protected in some way? Like in a national park or something similar?
      They certainly were accomplished builders !!

      Delete
    3. Some of the larger sites are protected, but there are so many sites it would be impossible to protect them all. Most are in very remote areas and are protected by their inaccessibility.
      They most definitely were quite the builders, as well as potters and basket makers. This ancient culture just amazes me!!

      Delete