Sunday, December 29, 2013

this landscape








 
The snow is long gone....even the promise or hope of snow has disappeared into the sunny, dry days of this desert. The morning temperature rises above freezing quickly, and the dogs run on the mesa. They chase rabbits while I crawl on the ground and contort my body into strange and unknown yoga-like poses in an attempt to get the best possible macro shot of that particularly special weed. I kneel in the stickers of a cactus, absorbed with the pattern of the spines, the color of the cactus flesh, the decaying wood of a cholla. I take the photo, pull the stickers out of my jeans and continue on my way.
 
The dogs have yet to catch a rabbit, the rabbits are far too clever for my barking and bounding team of hunters. I don't think they really care if they catch a rabbit or not, they're just happy to run.
The sun, low on the horizon, becomes brighter, even in winter. The air becomes warmer.
My early morning light is changing. I've captured today's photos, the dogs have run free.
 
This is the landscape of my mornings.

6 comments:

  1. What a great way to start your day. Before Bella was born l would take our two dogs for a walk in the morning. It was such a lovely way to start things. We live in amongst the coastal heathland, and there's plenty of tracks around our house to explore. Must try to do that's more often in 2014.
    Happy New Year Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have beautiful places to walk and explore. Bring Bella and the dogs. Make a morning ritual of it! :)
      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. You have such a great eye for making those weeds look beautiful. I once read that a weed is only a flower/plant growing where it is not appreciated. For the last week we have had a wild bunny taking shelter in our yard; we have now taken to putting our special bunny food for her/him so that he/she is feeding along side of all the birds. My cat would love to get out there to give chase.

    Happy New Year Julie, wishing you and yours all the very best 2014 has to offer. I have a feeling that this next 365 day trip around the sun will bring lots of joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to feed the bunnies, deer, and chipmunks when we lived in upper Michigan! I loved watching them in the yard. The chipmunks became so tame, they took peanuts from our hands!

      Happy New Year to you too, Mary Lou! Hoping it's an amazing year for you too! xx

      Delete
  3. I feel so peaceful just reading about your mornings. Such a sharp contrast to my own!! LOL!! Kids and dogs and cats and a broken dishwasher and an impending snowstorm, oh my!!! : ) I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for finding you and your wonderful blog this year. I wish you and your loved ones a safe, happy and healthy 2014. Many blessings to you all!!! XOXO

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to bring a little peace to your busy life! I am so glad to have you here, and share our experiences. Thanks for reading my blog and Happy New Year! xoxo

      Delete