Thursday, December 19, 2013

crockpot chicken with stewed tomatoes and herbs



The husband is working crazy long shifts and we haven't been out hiking. I'm bored. When I'm bored, I cook. Or clean. But today I felt like cooking.

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 15 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

The chicken goes in the crockpot first. Then the stewed tomatoes, garlic, and spices go on top of the chicken. Cook on low 6 hours.
Serve with rice. (I use brown rice.)
There's a lot of tomato-y liquid leftover....I put it in a saucepan, add a little flour, and make a thick sauce out of it. We pour that over the rice.

Oh, the most important part....brownies for dessert!

13 comments:

  1. Lemme feed my cats, throw on a poncho and gas up. I can be there in about ten hours!!!
    Please save me some, woman!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to there! Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a place set just for you, sweetie!!
      Happy Solstice to you too!

      Delete
  3. Your first recipe post :) was wondering what else you did apart from walk the wilds ..... ;) I'll have to pin this so l can come back to it in winter. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't always be wandering the back country....some days I do my best to be domestic! ;)

      Delete
    2. Ok, it took me a minute to realize it's summer over there!

      Delete
  4. :) yep far too hot over here for the crock pot !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I get sad I bake and then I eat it but so far this Christmas season no saddness settling in & all my baking has been quickly going out the door as thank you gifts. Thanks for sharing your crockpot recipe - mine gets a work out weekly. In the hot humid summer weather I plug my crock pot in on the patio - mind you I must keep a closer eye on it - squirrels are a very curious creature ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine the squirrels examining the crock pot. ;) Have they ever sampled anything you were cooking?

      Hope your holidays are happy, Mary Lou!

      Delete
    2. LOL at Mary Lou's squirrels..... l'd love to see a photo of that :)

      Delete
    3. I agree!
      Mary Lou, time to get out the camera!
      :)

      Delete