Saturday, November 30, 2013

winter, for a moment





 
 


 

 
 
The snow is almost gone now but for a moment everything was white, cold, and clean. The desert was transformed and I walked in a magical world of ice crystals, clouds, and sharp,clear air.
 
The brief spell of winter brought so much clarity to this harsh desert. There was an afternoon of beauty that threatened to soften this soul as I wandered the west mesa. I watched the dogs run, the shadows lengthen, and the sun set. Our footprints would soon melt and this day would be forgotten, lost in the return of the sun and warmer weather.
 
Days like this are rare out here. I celebrate each one with a walk, a thermos of cocoa, and the thought that in its own way, nature smiles on me and invites me out to play.

8 comments:

  1. It always surprises me when I see snow on a cactus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes the poor prickly things look a little happier, don't you think?

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful offering and you are a gracious receiver, you desert mountain dreamer.
    There's only one thing better than snow on the desert mesas. And that is the smell of rain in the desert after days upon days of heat and crunchy dryness. That smell is one of a kind, is it not?? Sweet pure sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell of rain in the desert is AWESOME! The smell of the rain coming, the smell after the storm, it's all perfection.
      And....rain is forecast for late next week!! If I could bottle that smell, I'd send it to you!

      Delete
    2. :) I'll be thinking of you when the rain comes!

      Delete
  3. I could look at those pictures for hours, there's so much to see.
    My favourites are the first and last ones. It's such a strange concept to have snow in the desert. You would NEVER see snow in our Australian deserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the fact that it's so strange is what makes me like it so much. Snow has a way of making things look so peaceful, don't you think?

      Delete