Tuesday, October 29, 2013

walk around the lake














As I wander, I begin to feel the mountain's embrace. The sunlight arrives in colored shafts all around me. The high peaks, the trees, and the leaves sing as I walk among these lucky inhabitants of the mountain. Can all this be real? Am I meant to see, the feel, to experience nature to the point where my mind and body want to explode into the light that shines all around me?

The mountain laughs and whispers, "Walk around the lake."

So I do. Halfway around the lake, I see the reason for the journey. The water shines. The sky consumes me in its blueness. The mountain smiles and the distant canyon country opens up before me. Close to me, ducks land on the water. I feel myself gliding with them, feeling the cool, still water under my tail. Closer yet, the ripples near the shore make me want to dissolve into their sparkles of light.  I am head over heels in love with this great big wonderful mountain.

Thank you, mountain.

10 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! I completely understand. Sometimes I wander, run, hike, lay in the leaves and I feel GIDDY in love. Like, I'm actually smiling and if anyone ever saw me they would think I was insane. I am crazy in love with the wild, wild world. It IS real; you are meant to feel all this. Your body/spirit knows where it came from and it feels complete.

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry,
      You've put it all in such eloquent terms....and yes, it is a great big love. Thanks for understanding this thing that's so much bigger than the both of us. xxx

      Delete
  2. All those blues and greens! I'm not getting that these days, but I'm drinking in your skies and in my mind, paddling around that lake.
    I've got me a mountain just a fifteen minute drive straight up. Think I'll grab my snowshoes and love on her awhile.
    Thanks to you and Kerry for reminding me.
    Have a blissful day, Earth woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid my days of the blues and greens are nearly over....the weather's changing fast, almost faster than I can shoot and edit photos.
      Go enjoy that mountain of yours! The changing seasons are when these places speak to us the loudest.

      Delete
  3. Trees, mountains, water; perfect. The quietness of a deep breath. Thank you for being there to witness & share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Lou, for being there to share these photos with. It's been a beautiful fall up there. I'm afraid before too long the lake will be frozen and the road nearly impassable. Hope I did the mountain justice this season.

      Delete
  4. Gosh you visit some lovely country.....and not another soul to be seen too :)
    For me, the best and easiest way for me to unwind is to spend time in the bush (that's what we call wild places in the Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our motto seems to be, "The fewer people, the better." It's important for the soul to reconnect with nature.
      You know, my husband has always wanted to see the Australian bush country, he is fascinated by it. So many places, so little time!

      Delete
    2. Well if you ever do get over here, you'll have to let me know. If it's wilderness you want....we've got it in droves!
      Last March we went on a road trip through western NSW and camped in the Pilliga Scrub. The Pilliga is 3,000 km2 of semi-arid woodland and we camped right in the middle of it, with only one other lot of campers at the camp site. No mobile reception, 33km from the nearest town................. :)

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a great camping trip! (No mobile reception is how we know we have successfully escaped far enough into the wild.) I googled the Pilliga and it looks beautiful....completely different from anything we have here. I even read about the Pilliga Yowie. He sounds like a relative of our Bigfoot!

      Delete